The Patrol Division is the largest component of the police department. There are presently 66 officers and 14 supervisors assigned to the patrol division. The division is divided into three daily reliefs. Relief one hours are 10:45pm to 6:45am. Relief two hours are 6:45am to 2:45pm. Relief three hours are 2:45pm to 10:45pm.
Duties performed by the Patrol Division include:
- Responds to calls for police service
- Conducts thorough preliminary investigations of all offenses
- Conducts follow-up investigations in cases where responsibility is not yielded to another division or section
- Apprehends offenders and recovers stolen property
- Enforces laws and regulations
- Conducts crime prevention and suppression activities
- Maintains close liaison with the community and fosters positive police community relations
The Patrol division responded to 70,891 calls for assistance during 2012.
The difference between calls for assistance and activity are defined as follows:
Calls for Assistance – requires a police report and may include criminal activity, city ordinance violations, traffic accidents, disturbances or civil unrest.
- Activity – when a police report is not required. An activity is when an officer initiates an action on his own. This may include traffic or parking enforcement, building checks, transports, or an assignment for service given by supervisor such as a traffic detail.