The Shade Tree Commission is an advisory board for the City of Binghamton made up of seven members, who are charged with studying the problems and determining the needs of the City of Binghamton in connection with its tree planting programs. The Commission is also responsible for helping the Parks and Recreation Department decide what type of trees will be planted in the City each year, and for assisting with the dissemination of news and information regarding selection, planting, and maintenance of trees within the City limits. In addition, the Commission serves as an advisory body to the Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, and City departments providing reviews and recommendations on private development projects and for public projects.
The Shade Tree Commission typically meets the third Tuesday of each month. Meetings are at 4:45PM and are held in the conference room of the Department of Planning, Housing, and Community Development (4th Floor of City Hall). Please refer to the City Calendar page for meeting dates.
Contact the City Planner for information at: 772-7028.
Shade Tree Commission Goals for 2015-2020
- Develop plans and a budget for treating ash trees infected with emerald ash borer.
- Develop plans to deal with other diseased trees (e.g., woolly adelgid in hemlock trees).
- Develop plans and prioritized lists for removing dead and dying street trees.
- Revitalize the Citizen Pruner Program.
- Increase the number of planted street trees sites, especially in low income neighborhoods.
- Educate city officials, the Chamber of Commerce, and residents about the value of urban trees for businesses and neighborhoods
- Distribute lists of recommended and prohibited trees to nurseries and big box stores.
- Work with Cornell Cooperative Extension to encourage more effective planting on private property (off the utility strip).
In accordance with Chapter 391 of the Code of the City of Binghamton, the Shade Tree Commission is composed of seven members, three (3) appointed by the City Council Public Works/Parks & Recreation Committee, three (3) appointed by the Mayor of the City of Binghamton, and one (1) who shall be the Commissioner of Parks and Recreation or his/her designee.
|Name||Date Appointed||Term Expires||Appointed By||Position|
|Richard Andrus||City Council||Chair|
|Julian Shepherd||City Council||Vice Chair|
|Carolyn Wilczynski||City Council||Member|
|Mayor of the City of Binghamton||Member|
|Frank Kirk||07/01/2016||06/30/2019||Mayor of the City of Binghamton||Member|
Bill Barber/ Paul Palmer
|01/22/2016||n/a||Code of the City of Binghamton||Member|
|Sawyer Farrell||1/23/2017||n/a||Chair||High School Representative|
Meeting agendas and minutes can be found on the City Calendar page