The work is carried out in accordance with procedures established to promote the efficient operation and maintenance of a Wastewater Treatment Plant with a point score of 76 or greater. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Wastewater Treatment Plant Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent. Supervision is exercised over subordinate employees in the performance of their assigned duties. Does related work as required.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree in a New York State Department of Environmental Conservation approved curriculum; and
- Completion of an appropriate course of instruction approved by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation; and Not less than eighteen months of satisfactory experience in the actual operation of a wastewater treatment plant with a point score of 76 or greater, and facilities of the appropriate type; and
- The ability to conduct the routine laboratory and field tests required for the control of the operation of a wastewater treatment plant with such facilities.
Grade 3 can use one of the following options to meet the minimum education requirements:
The operating experience discussed under these options is required in addition to the approved operating experience.
QUALIFYING OPTIONS FOR GRADE 3 OPERATIONS: (Must also have required duration of approved operating experience – 18 months).
- AAS degree from a duly accredited university or school in a NYSDEC approved curriculum, or
- AAS degree from a duly accredited university or school, plus eighteen months operating experience at a wastewater treatment plant, or
- AA degree with thirty credit hours of math and/or science from a duly accredited university or school, plus eighteen months operating experience at a wastewater treatment plant, or
- High school or equivalency diploma and three years of operating experience at a wastewater treatment plant.
(1) Wastewater treatment plant with a point score of 76 or greater. The candidate must possess a Grade 3 certificate issued under the provisions of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
(2) Possession of a New York State Driver’s License is required at time of appointment, and maintain the license and/or certificate during the entire length of appointment.
Is defined as work experience at a wastewater treatment plant with a SPDES permit. A minimum of fifty (50) percent of the work experience must include hands-on operation of all unit processes at the WWTP.
Approved Operating Experience:
Is defined as work experience at a wastewater treatment plant with a SPDES permit having the same or higher point score for which certification is being sought. A minimum of fifty (50) percent of the experience must include hands-on operation of all unit processes at the WWTP.
CANDIDATES MUST BE LEGAL RESIDENTS OF ONE OF THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES IN NEW YORK STATE; BROOME, TIOGA, TOMPKINS, CORTLAND, CHENANGO, OTSEGO, OR DELAWARE, OR SUSQUEHANNA, PENNSYLVANIA.
Performs or reviews various lab analysis for process control and reporting; Issues instructions and guidance on the regulation of plant processes; Prepares periodic reports on plant operations; Prepares regular Discharge Monitoring Reports; Conducts training and education; Supervises and ensures that facilities and employees comply with all Federal and State Safety Regulations; Assists in coordinating plant work schedules; Delegates work assignments to plant Operators and Maintainers; Supervises and performs a variety of maintenance programs throughout the facility; Operates all plant equipment and major unit processes; Performs periodic employee disciplinary actions; Assists in employee performance evaluations; May be assigned responsibility for operating and maintaining the plant in the absence of the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent; Provides quick response and direction in emergency situations.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of the practices used and the equipment required in the operation and maintenance of a Wastewater Treatment Plant with a point score of 76 or greater; good knowledge of the operations of a modern wastewater treatment plant; working knowledge of the principles and applications of physics, chemistry and bacteriology as applied to wastewater treatment and disposal; skill in the operation and repair of pumps, valves and related mechanical and electrical equipment; ability to read, understand and record data from gauges, scales, and meters; ability to supervise and delegate work to subordinates; ability to make routine laboratory and filed tests for control of plant operation; ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions, mechanical aptitude and manual dexterity; ability to work with computer programs including, Windows based Excel and Word; Ability to operate a personal computer and utilize common office software programs including word processing, spreadsheet, and database at an acceptable rate of accuracy and speed; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.